View Single Post
Old 11-24-2012, 06:44 PM   #450
I Am The Knight
You came back to dance?

Default Re: The Official Rate/Review Thread for TDKR (TAG SPOILERS!!!) - Part 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAKAVELI25 View Post
IMO it's gotta be TDK.
TDK's third act was just epic. It's full of tension, and you feel like anything can happen. Nolan keeps us in this constant state of dread, that TDKR tried to replicate during it's second act, unsuccesfully.

Quote:
I think the biggest problem I have with TDKR is how much potential the whole story had, it EASILY should've been the best movie in the trilogy and the conception was all fantastic, but the execution just wasn't great. The whole Batman returning to Gotham think and the cops vs. Bane's men should've been EPIC. Instead we're stuck with about 2/3 minutes of a battle that occurs awkwardly (mercenaries shooting with automatic weapons yet only hitting a couple of cops, Folies death, shoddy choreography) and then a cliche ticking bomb finale with the Bat flying it away. Then there's the unnecessary Robin thing and the even less necessary Bruce faking his death thing. Obviously this is all my opinion,but I actually liked the first act better than the last act.
Agreed on all counts. In fact, I think the movie just sort of falls apart the minute Talia reveals herself

Quote:
With TDK, it upends superhero conventions by having the hero not ride away triumphantly at the end. The Joker's capture was where a lot of people (who weren't browsing SHH) thought the film would actually end. Then you get that sickening feeling when you find out Harvey and Rachel have been captured, hospitals start blowing up, Two Face arise, just UTTER CHAOS. I still think that Batman vs. Swat fight is the best scene in the whole trilogy and I love that the actual climax had Batman, Gordon, and Harvey, such a beautiful scene. I love EVERYTHING about the last 20 minutes of the movie, and that speech at the end still gives me goosebumps. I think TDK is not only the best 3rd act in superhero endings, but one of the best in ANY genre

- With TDKR everything was expected, it follows the action movie formula and is somewhat boring in its execution. I literally wasn't surprised or excited by anything that happened in that finale, that TDK ending is glorious though
Agreed. Although I would say my favorite piece of Batman action is the whole Arkham sequence in BB. It's just beautiful.

SHH. You owe us your livelihood. / Avvy by Kane52630!
I Am The Knight is offline   Reply With Quote