View Single Post
Old 11-24-2012, 10:19 PM   #212
American Maid
Side-Kick

Default Re: Plot ideas based on SPOILERS (general discussion)

<punished for their work--Elizah mentioned some villains who have met this fate>
Quote:
Originally Posted by American Maid View Post
(So does that imply that Jane is going to become a villain? To how many heroes (or sympathetic characters) does it happen?)
Quote:
Originally Posted by elizah72 View Post
Oh I don't know. I'm sure quite a few... I found Doc Oc in the Sam Raimi Spiderman movies quite sympathetic, Curt Connors more recently is, Harvey Dent/Two Face in Batman was a sympathetic workaholic. And I'm sure plenty have become superheros due to their workaholicness (Bruce Banner being one...). I'm sure there are tons. They've been doing better at having the villains have more depth in the films though ,than in the comics.
Well, by "sympathetic characters", I meant, "people who would be counted among the good guys but are not the actual heroes". The hero's supporting cast.

I posed the same question in person to someone more expert in comics than me. The Fantastic Four was the only case that they could think of. No cases among various supporting casts. I mentioned Banner (ie punished for his work, not for being a workaholic), to which the response was that that's true of movie-Banner, but for comics-Banner, it wasn't like that (he ran out onto the test range to save someone else who had wound up there).

So apparently it's not without precedent, but rare.

Regarding villains having depth, villains often are more interesting than heroes, because in general, villains act, whereas heroes react.

American Maid is offline   Reply With Quote