View Single Post
Old 11-25-2012, 10:52 AM   #397
I Am The Knight
World's Finest

Default Re: Am I the only one that feels like TDKR prevents Nolan's trilogy from being perfec

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Joker View Post
Things like IMAX stuff is great. But other stuff like putting Gordon in a hospital bed for half the movie or leaving Talia until the end of the movie didn't help at all. In fact it hurt the movie.

I agree with you. Frankly some of those reasons Robin listed have been done by other superhero movies already. There's far more Peter Parker screen time than there is Spider-Man in all of the Spider-Man movies made. Spider-Man vanishes for practically the whole middle act of Spider-Man 2, and that's considered the best one. Putting Gordon out of action for most of the movie wasn't risky, it was just bad writing. It's the equivalent to under using a character, which so many superhero movies are guilty of. TDK is only 12 minutes shorter than Rises etc.

The only real boundary I see TDKR breaking is the superhero threequel curse.
True. For example, another threequel, Spider-Man 3, also features a relative unknown character as it's main villain, Sandman. And the villain every kiddy wanted desperately to see, Venom, was only in the film for about 10 minutes, and then he gets killed. Also, turning your main character into an emo b*tch is far more polarizing than putting him into a Pit Or turning Superman into a womanizing drunkard in Superman III, and then have him battle himself in some kind of psychological junkyard fight.

Besides, once TDK became a HUGE hit, Nolan knew he had carte blanche to do whatever he wanted, and the audience would eat it up. I'd say Batman Begins was a riskier film to make, despite adhering to a more conventional superhero formula than it's sequels. It was a complete reinvention of the character for main audiences, with a villain even more obscure than Bane, to the GA at least. TDKR was always going to be a huge hit, anyway. It still adheres to formula, especially during the third act. And It even has a happy ending where the main character overcomes all obstacles and goes off to live in Europe with a hot woman.

The actual interesting and "not safe" aspects of the film are under developed, and they have more to do with commentaries on modern society than "Durr Bane has more screentime than Batman, so transgressive".

SHH. You owe us your livelihood. / Avvy by Kane52630!

Last edited by I Am The Knight; 11-25-2012 at 10:57 AM.