View Single Post
Old 11-25-2012, 12:15 PM   #381
DACrowe
Side-Kick

Default Re: Skyfall vs. TDKR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frodo View Post
I'd agree with those comparisions, and unfortunately TWINE is one of the weaker Bond flicks. The Bane/Talia relationship is almost exactly like the Renard/Electra relationship, Renard is a vicious terrorist who cannot feel pain, You have a hero who's physically, mentally, and emotionally compromised, you have a film which has much more of a downbeat and depressing tone, And you have over the top action which conflicts a bit with the more personal story the film wants to tell. I'd say Skyfall is like TDK in its villan and that's about it. Other than that, its oddly closer to TDKR .
I actually like TWINE. Beyond the woeful miscasting of Ms. Richards and the inaneness of the ski scene, I think it works quite well.

Anyway, I do see the similarities. Just as I see TDK features the villain killing people (in Skyfall's case MI6 agents) every set day/week until the hero meets his demands. It also features the villain being intentionally captured so he can later escape. It even features the hero getting some reliable advice from an old childhood servant who knows his most personal, darkest secrets.

But I do not know why people are upset. QOS borrowed from Bourne. CR borrowed from Batman Begins. TND borrowed from John Woo. It goes all the way back to LALD borrowing from Shaft. It is part of the Bond tradition on film.

--John Adams
DACrowe is offline   Reply With Quote