View Single Post
Old 11-25-2012, 03:33 PM   #108
mr. peasant
Side-Kick

Default Re: Arrow General Discussion Thread - Part 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage View Post
While I agree with this, I feel like a character should at least be recognizable. If you're going to go all out and change everything about the character, name them something else. Movie Bane is still recognizable as Bane. His origin and MO are still intact despite changes. This Vertigo is a drug dealer that happens to sell a drug that gives people vertigo. That description alone already makes me think "You know, you don't have to use preexisting characters, right? You're allowed to make up your own."
I agree that this version of Count Vertigo is something of a wasted opportunity. By virtue of him being a foreign aristocrat, one would have thought that it would be the perfect opportunity for the show to feature a villain who abuses his diplomatic immunity to get away with running some shady businesses; which would work really well given Arrow's tone, theme and plot.

In my opinion, Vertigo's superpowers really come secondary in terms of defining his identity and what makes him unique/memorable.