View Single Post
Old 11-27-2012, 11:54 AM   #302
BlueLightning
Caballero de la Luz

Default Re: The Official Batman (1989) Thread - Part 3

Well, there are many interpretations of Batman. The whole thing of "Bruce Wayne died with his parents" never seamed well with me. That's why I like a lot more Nolan's Batman, he is more human.

Something that I liked a lot of "Mask of the Phantasm" was that before being Batman he was given the chance of happiness with Andrea. The whole speech of "I didn't count on being happy" is very powerful, and adds a lot of gravitas to the character.

The fact that Bruce didn't want to be Batman forever was a very realist take on the character. Who wants to be hated? Who really wants to be a pariah of society? But the thing is, Bruce will do it if he has to. "I'm whatever Gotham needs me to be". That sacrifice screams Batman, and shows why the character is so compelling.

I like Burton's Batman too, but I don't see it as a definitive version of the character. That goes to DCAU Batman.

A hero can be anyone. Even a man doing something as simple and reassuring as putting a coat around a young boy's shoulders to let him know that the world hadn't ended.