View Single Post
Old 11-27-2012, 08:40 PM   #571
BatLobsterRises
Lobsterized

Default Re: Am I the only one that feels like TDKR prevents Nolan's trilogy from being perfec

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
I think though you have to look at the implication of that line. Could batman still have been out there? Sure. Could he have also battled the joker again and could dent still be alive. Why not? The whole point of Blake saying that, if we are to believe Nolan isn't a hack, is to let the audience know batman had quit that night. Otherwise, why not just say hardly anyone or very few have seen him.
The point of the line is to show that to Gotham at large, Batman has been gone for 8 years and that he has become a mysterious legend to them. It doesn't really effect Bruce Wayne's journey one way or another if he's been gone a full 8 years or 7 years a 9 months, etc. The end result for him is still the same...he's stopped being Batman for a very long time, long enough for him to be older and rusty.

I think Nolan understands that it's not natural for the audience to assume that Batman was going to retire based on the end of TDK, so he gave himself a few tiny openings for people to fill in some of the story for themselves. This is 8 years of the main character's life we're talking about, there should be some room for nuance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anita18 View Post
Doesn't Daggett say, "8 years, and he has to pick tonight?" That says to me that he really was gone for 8 years, or at the very least, hasn't done a big job like the stock exchange for that long.
Well, definitely not. I don't think anyone's trying to argue that Batman has pulled anything huge since TDK, only that he's a man capable of operating from the shadows and might have done just that if he felt he needed to in the time leading up to the passing of the Dent Act.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBat812 View Post
although I think he purposefully did not include too much proof of that in the film to allow that ambiguity for the fans.
I agree. I think in Nolan's mind, it's 8 years, but I thought he handled it delicately.

My take on why there is no "DC Films" Division at WB:
http://forums.superherohype.com/show...&postcount=158