View Single Post
Old 11-28-2012, 06:17 AM   #565
mkilban2
family1stclothingco.com

Default Re: Thor 2 Dark World news, speculation and pictures possible Spoilers - Part 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by herolee10 View Post
You know, with all of the talk that we've had about how Powerful Odin is and who should vanquish him, one thing that I'm trying to work my head around is whether the MCU's version of Odin is really all that powerful.

I mean, based on what we saw in Thor, he was given a few physical blows from fighting with Laufey; even lost one of his eyes as a result, before he ultimately defeated him.

Yet Loki was able to kill Laufey with just two blows from Odin's staff. So if someone like Laufey could give Odin so much trouble in his prime, then what's to say that he is all that powerful in the MCU?
I don't really think he is, I think he's there more as a figurehead to Thor rather than a fighter. More as an older man who people look up to rather than a great warrior.

I'm actually 100% okay with that though, probably because I've never read comics so my views come from what I've seen in the movies so far. I don't get upset when things don't work out exactly as they were in the books and then once I've seen them on the screen or read about them online I do some research into the subject. But I'm all for things being different than the comics, I mean even though they are movies based directly off comics, I think the general public's view of what happens and their reactions is much more important than the die hard comic book reader.

Basically I'm trying to say that to most people here or on CBM and other sites like these, Odin being less powerful or Thor not living up to comic book hype in feats of strength or whatever doesnt matter to 95% of the people seeing the movie, so even though 99% on this site will get mad about it. If they don't have prior knowledge of Odin being this super powerfull All-Father dude, they just see him as Thor's old ass dad who's probably going to die soon and everyone watching is okay with it.

Edit: which for the record in my opinion sucks, because even though I havent read comics I've done a fair amount of research on all these characters after falling in love with the MCU and shows like AEMH but I guess I'm always open to changes.

Last edited by mkilban2; 11-28-2012 at 06:22 AM.