View Single Post
Old 11-30-2012, 03:54 AM   #300
xeno000
Raining hell from above

Default Re: MCU Phase 3: Have it your way

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord View Post
I think most that didn't know he was a character from the comics though he was just a random S.H.I.E.L.D. goon
Maybe the people at the opening night screening I was in are more comics-literate than most, but there was a buzz in the theater when Barton grabbed that bow and Coulson said his name. I punched my poor brother in the arm when I realized who it was.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chewy View Post
It worked fine as a cameo, and that's all it needed to do. He was barely on the team because Whedon didn't have space to get more of him in there, not because his cameo was a cameo. Whedon said on the commentary that he originally had a full backstory for Hawkeye and he was a part of the team throughout the whole movie, but he had to chop it all out.

Hawkeye's my favorite Avenger and I'll be happy to see more of him in the sequels. But his role was fine in Avengers - he's a supporting character, and the movie was about the big guns getting together.
It was a little disappointing that Clint got the short end of the stick in The Avengers, but with that many characters to juggle Whedon really had no choice. In the next film Hawkeye should get more of the spotlight, or at least I hope that he will. Both the character and Jeremy Renner deserve that much.