View Single Post
Old 12-01-2012, 02:48 PM   #43
ConnorKon-El
Amateur Film Nerd

Default Re: Man of Steel - worried about Star Trek 2, Iron Man 3, and The Wolverine?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Excel View Post
That is not the way it works.

Including all costs of production, marketing, distribution, merchandise, dvd release, etc - W.B. will spending $350 million+ on this film. 80/250 million stateside is not going to cut it. Frankly, I would bet that careers will end if/when this movie opens under 100 million (which isn't that much money any more). Potter is done. Batman is done. Hobbit is ending. Superman is supposed to be the face for the Justice league universe, which is going to carry Warner Brothers for the next decade. To be blunt, Man of Steel MUST be a hit. Warner Brothers has a lot of potential dollars riding on this films success.

If the film is amazing, that will help. But marketing all about buzz & attention. Avengers had the entire month of April to gather buzz, nothing else opened with it, and the week after weak. The Dark Knight Rises was the big July release nobody wanted to touch. Currently, Man of Steel will be fighting for attention with Will Smith, Pixar, and the Frat Pack all at once. These are big problems.Even if Superman is amazing, there is only going to be so much air time to go around. I wish theyd just switch it with Pacific Rim. It'd have a far easier time there.

Beyond the obvious, which is make a great movie, what W.B. needs to do to maximize gross & exposure are:
-Trailer with Hobbit, and has to be epic. They cant hold back.
-Super bowl spot - again, needs to be epic.
-Trailer with Olympus Has Fallen, needs to be epic
-Trailer with Iron Man 3, again, needs to be epic

Then, this biggest thing: word needs to leak that the film is GOOD early. like months in advance. Skyfall, for example, benefited tremendously from word leaking of its quality well in advance. Having 3-4 weeks of people saying "it's supposed to be excellent" was how it opened to 90 million despite the horrible word of mouth of the previous one, which also opened much lower. So, mid May- ish, word needs to get out that the new superman movie ROCKS.

It needs to be all over the internet weeks in advance. This type of precedent will make every tv spot that airs between then and the release 100x as effective. Not only will it be "that looks good", it will be "that looks good AND is supposed to be good".

If W.B. want to dominate the airwaves and capture maximum buzz, they need to let it slip that film rocks early and often.
All of this pretty much, i find it a little comforting that this will have a Super Bowl spot which will help.
And i cannot stress enough that yes, EVERYTHING ( trailers and tv spots) need to be EPIC.

ConnorKon-El is offline   Reply With Quote