View Single Post
Old 12-02-2012, 05:03 PM   #49
X-Maniac
High Evolutionary

Default Re: Any word on if this is going to resolve continuity issues from First Class?

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Howlett View Post
But, it's not like First Class and vague quotes from Singer and Vaughn during the lead up to First Class don't give him that ammunition.

Vaughn/Singer went through great lengths to pretty much kill the idea that the Last Stand is part of this continuity. The opening scene in the Last Stand is what does that film in. It doesn't fit, period.

Yes, First Class doesn't completely line up with X-Men and X2 (still drives me crazy) but, it at least lines up much better with those two films than it does the Last Stand.

What makes this whole thing a mess is that the Wolverine is post TRILOGY, which kind of messes up the line of thinking that Vaughn/Singer had with First Class. On top of that, Jackman's going to appear, in a significant role (don't think for a second it'll just be a cameo), in Days of Future Past. How is that all going to work?

At the end of the day, the blame goes to Vaughn. It seems, to me, that he really wanted to blaze his own path with X-Men and have it a full on reboot but got skittish to that idea and basically played 50/50 with that film. It's one of the reasons why it's one of the must frustrating films to watch. On the one hand, they got A LOT right for it to line up with X-Men and X2, but then they go bone headed and make things a tad complicated for plot convenience for First Class to work towards its end but that contradicts the first two films.

What a damn nightmare. That's one of the reasons I haven't gone back to the film in a while and why I just watch X-Men and X2 mostly.

Now with Singer back, we have no idea what the hell is going to happen. Singer is going to want to get the house that he created. That's just going to be nature. The question is, will it contradict First Class, this new film?
I think it could well contradict any or all of the existing films. It seems to be a feature of this franchise, to be honest. The focus is only ever on the film being made, rather than how it fits into the bigger picture.

The only hint so far of acknowledging the franchise as a whole has been talk of The Wolverine somehow connecting to DoFP.

And, previously, the characters in Josh Schwartz's earlier First Class script had to match up with the mutants rescued by Xavier at the end of XMO:Wolverine.

I'm bracing myself for further contradictions, or at the very least some unanswered questions like First Class characters suddenly disappearing from the cast of DoFP.