View Single Post
Old 12-03-2012, 07:26 PM   #51
Paradox1
Side-Kick

Default Re: The Prequel Trilogy General Discussion and Appreciation Thread

Here is a bit of news I think you'll get a kick out, I found this IGN. ....lol

Is Star Wars: Revenge of the Sith a Work of Art?

Famed art critic calls Episode III the greatest artwork in 30 years.

by Max Nicholson
November 29, 2012

In her new book called Glittering Images, renowned art critic Camille Paglia analyzes 29 works throughout art history. In the book's final chapter, she makes a rather bold claim in support of George Lucas's Star Wars: Episode III - Revenge of the Sith, calling it the greatest work of art in recent memory.
In an interview with Vice, Paglia was asked why she felt this particular film stood out among other artworks from artists like Matthew Barney, Rachel Whiteread, Chris Ware or Peter Doig. In reply, Paglia explained, "The long finale of Revenge of the Sith has more inherent artistic value, emotional power, and global impact than anything by the artists you name. It's because the art world has flat-lined and become an echo chamber of received opinion and toxic over-praise. It's like the emperor's new clothes -- people are too intimidated to admit what they secretly think or what they might think with their blinders off."

Indeed, Paglia continues, Episode III epitomizes the modern digital art movement, more so than other piece from the last 30 years. "I had considered using Japanese anime for the digital art chapter of the book, but it lacked the overwhelming operatic power and yes, seriousness of Lucas's Revenge of the Sith." An interesting choice to represent the emotional and visual power of modern cinema, no?
Do you agree with Paglia that ROTS is our generation's greatest work of art? Or does another film strike your fancy for the title? Let us know what you think in the Comments.

and here is an official link http://www.ign.com/articles/2012/11/...-a-work-of-art

"Wars are never won, regardless of who might be the victor. The very act of war is itself a horrible defeat." Guardian of the Universe "Battleground: Oa!" Green Lantern, 1st Silver Age series, #127, Denny O'Neil)
Paradox1 is offline   Reply With Quote