View Single Post
Old 12-04-2012, 05:44 AM   #510
herolee10
S.W. Mourner

Default Re: All Things Superman: An Open Discussion - - - - - - - - - Part 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnneFan View Post
It's natural for an alien with massive power to be critiqued and I'm glad it looks they are exploring that issue. Saving the world goes a long way in winning people over. But indeed, there would still be uneasy people out there, in line with Luthor's philosophies, and also how Superman may represent the end of human potential. Questioning his boundaries, etc. Batman for example deals with Superman but always has lingering doubts at the back of his mind.
Agreed; and it always falls back to that mentality of: "For all of the villains that you take down, who's to stop you if you were to lose control yourself?"

No matter how noble a person may appear, history has shown that power corrupts many, if not all, to some extent and what could have started out as a righteous crusade against tyranny can easily be warped into something more malevolent, and I'm sure that this is something that would be present within a lot of people's minds when coming across a being like Superman.

Unlike us, the fans that know him as a comic book character, in the world that MOS presents him in, no one has any guarantees that Superman won't ever turn against humanity at some point, or misuse his powers. Hell, even in the comics, Superman gave Batman a piece of Kryptonite as a safety measure in case if that ever happened, or if he ever got controlled.

On another note; like others have mentioned, I wonder what Superman was presented towards doing or what the Government thinks that he did or would do that would warrant them to handcuff him. It's one thing to bring him in for questioning, but to put handcuffs on him; that kind of treatment would normally warrant that Superman was presented in doing something wrong in the eyes of the government.