View Single Post
Old 12-04-2012, 07:19 PM   #765
TheBat812
Side-Kick

Default Re: Am I the only one that feels like TDKR prevents Nolan's trilogy from being perfec

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAKAVELI25 View Post
The above is very true. There are a lot of minor elements I hate, (8 year exile, Bane being a henchman, Bane/Talia's stupid plot, Blake, Foley, Selena's lack of screentime) but the biggest weakness with the film is that Gotham doesn't feel like a real city. There doesn't seem to be much at stake in the end because TDKR fails where TDK succeeds so marvelously, making us care about characters beyond the main cast. If the nuclear bomb had blown up I wouldn't have cared because I did not care about Gotham as a city. BB and TDK somehow managed to make us care about Gotham's inhabitants, the minor citizens. I can still remember how much tension I felt during that ferry scene with the Joker, and yet I felt nothing when I thought Bane was going to blow up the whole city.
There was a reason for showing the people in TDK. They were directly involved with the boat situation. In this movie, they're all hiding in their houses. No reason to show them, and we get an idea of what a situation is like for a normal family with the Foley family. The tension for the city came not from the people of Gotham, but from whether or not Bruce will fail in his mission to save it.