View Single Post
Old 12-04-2012, 07:48 PM   #774
Anita18
DANCE FOR ME, FUNNY MAN!

Default Re: Am I the only one that feels like TDKR prevents Nolan's trilogy from being perfec

TDK and TDKR are about different things. TDK confronts the issue of order and chaos and what kind of world would allow for both a vigilante and a terrorist who aims to destroy just what a society consists of. TDK was about very big ideas - it was never about Batman just stopping Joker's terrorist acts. Those big ideas necessitate how the public views Batman and just how useful he is. Does a society need Batman to continue functioning? It tries to justify his existence, and in the end, it turns out Gotham doesn't need him. It does fine without his continued existence. "We won."

With that, comes TDKR, where Bruce is still emotionally caught up in Batman and can't move on. The rest of the movie gives him two choices - continue in his self-destructive course personified by Bane and Talia, or give himself a chance to start fresh, personified by Selina and Blake. It's a highly personal movie, about one man's journey, but on a much bigger canvas that involves the city. But it's not about society the way TDK was. It's about Bruce, the way BB was.

Would I have liked to see more Gothamites involved in TDKR? Of course. The more the better, since it's such a rich world. But IMO we would have moved on to HBO miniseries land rather than feature film land. TDKR was never about Gotham as a society.