View Single Post
Old 12-05-2012, 12:13 AM   #795
TheDarkKnight08
genius

Default Re: Am I the only one that feels like TDKR prevents Nolan's trilogy from being perfec

I personally consider this one the best in the trilogy. It was great to see Bruce out there, struggling emotionally and physically. It's something comic book movies lack in general. Everyone's entitled to their opinion, and I'm no one to take that away, but is it really that insulting and bad that people actually loved this movie?

Nolan's films were never meant to be literal translations of the source material. Hell, not even Marvel's films do that. They're meant to present, IMHO, certain hypothetical aspects of the Batman mythology. How would Bruce Wayne become Batman? How would someone as chaotic as the Joker affect a modern metropolitan city? How would Bruce Wayne finally end his journey as Batman, that didn't lead with him dying or forever in misery?

I think the harder you look for those direct allusions to the comics, the harder it'll be to enjoy them, and I understand the frustration. But, to me, these films did so much more than the first X-Men and Spider-Man movies did. They turned the character into something more than just a superhero in a costume. Nolan turned him into a symbol. I'm not a Nolanite, but, dammit, I have respect for him and what he's done.

So, I can't really agree with the OP. TDKR made it perfect for me.

If any character has ever earned the right to enjoy a happy retirement, it is Bruce Wayne. Nolan ought to be commended for caring enough about the character and believing enough in his own vision to provide a definitive, satisfying ending to the story of an ordinary man who turned tragedy into the motivation to accomplish something extraordinary.