Thread: Kurse!
View Single Post
Old 12-05-2012, 04:16 PM   #281
cherokeesam
SHIELD Director Coulson

Default Re: Kurse!

Quote:
Originally Posted by American Maid View Post
Does one have to be sufficiently powerful/evil to be able to use it? Algrim is just one of the soldiers, albeit a fairly strong one.
In all fairness, Algrim is considered strongest of all the Dark Elves.

Quote:
Your theory has merit, though I might modify it to say people susceptible to or influenced by evil use it. Selvig isn't good/then evil/then good, for example.

And maybe, to some extent, the Tesseract is using all these people instead of the other way around.

I don't think any of the "good" people you named have tried to use the Tesseract and failed (whereas lots of people have tried to use Mjolnir and failed, for example). They simply do not make the attempt.
True; there haven't been that many real attempts by the good guys to use the Tesseract, other than Fury and the scientists, who might not be considered powerful or worthy enough to unlock its energy. In the comics, good guys *can* use the Cube, of course; but in the MCU, I'm seeing a definite disconnect and trend towards only evil people being able to activate it.

Quote:
(To pick a nit: the Viking king was not entombed with the Tesseract. The Tesseract actually was in the carving of Yggdrasil, off to the side of where the tomb was. But your point remains valid.)

Another quibble: if the Tesseract is so evil, why leave it on Midgard for 1000 years among all the rubes?
That's a good question, regardless of whether or not my theory is right. Who put the Cube there, and why leave it virtually unguarded for 1000 years, knowing full well the devastating consequences of someone in the know finding and using it? Going back to Red Skull's quote about "This would have been the crowl jewel in Odin's Treasury....if it wasn't a fake," seems to indicate that Odin doesn't even know it's there.

...They move like slick cotton on oil.

---Echostation, 3/18/2014
cherokeesam is offline   Reply With Quote