View Single Post
Old 12-06-2012, 07:57 AM   #122
blueserenity
Side-Kick

Default Re: Bryan Singer Directing X-Men: Days of Future Past - Part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by JP View Post
I love First Class. It's the best superhero movie I've ever seen, that's why I've been so bummed about every development we've heard about DOFP so far. I don't trust Singer to respect the direction and tone the prequel set, rather than just try to make the X3 he never got to.

So, you don't trust Singer to trust the tone and direction HE SET?

First Class was a Bryan Singer film, directed by Vaughn.

DoFP is a Vaughn movie, directed by Singer.
I don't think either of those statements are true. First Class was Bryan's idea, but Vaughn took over most (all?) the creative aspects of the film, including the tone and direction (for example, the 60s James Bond feel). As listed above, he at the very least was in charge of all the important things. And I said, the two leads were cast by Vaughn, not Singer. Not sure if Singer or Vaughn hired the rest of the cast but none of them particularly stood out to me. Vaughn was handed the script and told to make a movie and he instead said "this needs reworking" and rewrote it with Jane Goldman. It was really his movie. He's not a perfect director, don't get me wrong. I haven't seen Layer Cake, but Stardust I found pretty boring and KickAss wasn't spectacular. But what he did with XMFC was the most refreshing thing I've seen in a superhero movie since the genre began. And no one needed that more than the X-Men franchise, which has not really stood the test of time.

As for DOFP being a Vaughn movie, I'm not sure about that either. He has made no major creative decisions on it so far that we can see. He hasn't stuck around for casting, he'll have no say on music, costume and location were Singer's choices, and Vaughn's contribution to the script may have been overwritten. We're not even sure yet what Vaughn's "involvement" in this film as producer will be. I have a feeling it will be in name only. He did leave leave DOFP to rush Secret Service, I'm not sure he'll be able to be in two places at once.

If someone can cite specific examples of Singer's creative involvement in First Class it'd be much appreciated. I have no faith in this director or his methods and it'd be nice to have even one scrap of hope for this movie.