View Single Post
Old 12-07-2012, 05:52 AM   #126
blueserenity
Side-Kick

Default Re: 'X-men: DOFP' Official CAST Thread (announcements and discussion)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs Vimes View Post
It makes no sense to me to spend more time (or even equal time) in the future when the whole plot of the movie is to change that future through the actions in the past. The past is where the whole crux of the plot actually is and where actions matter the most - not the future which is just basically waiting to be overwritten and the actions there ultimately have no bearing on the outcome.

I know that DoFP is a popular story and all, but when I've read the summary of the comic my impression was that, after the time travel happens, the future scenes are largely pointless and are basically there to serve up some cool fights with the Sentinels. If the movie is giving future!mutants a whole separate storyline it has to be for better reasons than nostalgia and action scenes. What would be the point of showing them fight for survival when their survival and in fact the fate of their entire timeline does not actually depend on their actions?

And another issue which I've mentioned in another thread is how to end that part of the story. Does the timeline stop existing or does that future remain unchanged because of an alternative timeline? Either way is not entirely satisfying as a wrap-up for future!mutants IMO.
Marry me. Once again, an awesome post.

I think someone on a different thread (possibly you?) proposed the notion that the butterfly effect of the past would mean that everything in the future would change with everything they did in the past. If they went that route they'd have to be very careful with how they did it. They could do it Looper-style where things keep shifting, but the idea of the original story was that the future doesn't change; it just creates a new one. You're right, not an ideal sendoff for the old team but maybe "potential flashforwards" would wrap things up nicely? Maybe something post-credits?

Hawkingbird, best, most appropriate reply to a post I've ever seen on this board. Major kudos.