View Single Post
Old 12-07-2012, 08:21 AM   #783
American Maid
Side-Kick

Default Re: Thor 2 Dark World news, speculation and pictures possible Spoilers - Part 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaqua99 View Post
IF Odin is to die. That's what I would think. Not too sure though, Odin was going to hand the throne to thor.
True, although if we have a coronation early on, it's problematic for several reasons:
-it's kind of the same structure as Thor1
-it kind of looks like Thor's reward for bringing Loki in
-it changes the dynamics of a lot of what we believe will follow, based on the spoilers received thus far. (This last point I can also make for Thor getting the ability to open portals with Mjolnir early in the film, too, btw)

So while I agree that, given that it's in this montage, it's more likely to take place early in the film, for the above reasons, I wonder if there's some misdirection associated with this item. It doesn't seem to quite fit.

Quote:
Yeah. Odin may die, he may not. IF Odin is dead, I think it will be at the end, due to surtur, resulting in thor's crowning, here's why.
In addition to the reasons you discuss below, there's also the Simonson arc.

Quote:
That theme of moral sacrifice. Thor leaving asgard for earth? That theme most likely has to be felt through out the movie.
I agree.

Quote:
if Odin dies, this means Thor inherits the throne at the end. I don't think Thor will abandon Asgard after his father got killed, at the end of the movie. Asgard is possibly damaged, Odin is dead, its his world now. He wouldn't leave it.
There is the variation that played out in Simonson's run: he declined the throne but (as far as I know) stayed in Asgard.

Actually, some summaries of that run say that Thor proceeds to search for Odin, since there was a chance that he hadn't actually perished (and does ultimately return, it being a comic book after all)

Quote:
Which leaves me with two ideas, one, the moral sacrifice happens earlier in the film, he abandons asgard earlier on, and there are mild reprocussions for it. Movie goes on, ultimately odin dies, thor is king, and now will stay in asgard till avengers 2.
Hmmm, then you are not really feeling that theme throughout the movie.

Quote:
OR this is a bit twisty, but hear me out. What if Thor's moral sacrifice is abandoning midgard, not asgard? We KNOW he loves earth. What if, while he is on earth, he makes a vow not to leave, and to protect earth. However, Odin dies, and Thor KNOWS he needs to return to Asgard where he is needed. Leaving behind a world he swore to protect? That could be one way to impliment moral sacrifice.
That *is* a good twist, and it grabs my interest. There's a part of me that feels like if he were to abandon Earth it would make him look a little less heroic in a "that figures" sort of way. Not that it wouldn't be justified, if Asgard's need is great. I will mull on it some more, though.

Quote:
If Thor becomes king in this movie, it seems more cinematic for it to happen at the end. Who knows, maybe the surtur arc will be completed in this movie
I agree about it being more cinematic.

I guess I had been assuming Thor would not become king in this movie. I don't know how to fit in the piece of the voiceover, though.