View Single Post
Old 12-07-2012, 11:42 AM   #796
elizah72
Side-Kick

Default Re: Thor 2 Dark World news, speculation and pictures possible Spoilers - Part 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by American Maid View Post
So I'm going to be devil's advocate here for a moment.

The sentence from the footage description we are discussing is:
“In the preview, a voice-over is heard with the oath of the God of Thunder as the new supreme ruler."

This is a translation of a description. The original author may not have been familiar with the Thor mythos. There might be an element of telephone game to this (and all the descriptors, actually).

With that caveat laid out, I'll note that:
-this does not say "we hear Chris Hemsworth (using his distinctive Asgardian accent) give the oath"
-the oath itself, from the first film, does not make reference to whether one is a God of Thunder:
ODIN Thor Odinson, do you swear to guard the Nine Realms?
THOR
I swear.
ODIN
Do you swear to preserve the peace?
THOR
I swear.
ODIN
Do you swear to cast aside all selfish ambition and pledge yourself only to the good of all the Realms? [Beat.]
THOR
I swear. [Odin starts to proclaim Thor king, but then the Frost Giants spoil everything.]
Odin's speech prior to the administration of the oath talks about first Gungnir and then Mjolnir, saying, "Who wields this hammer commands the lightning and the storm."

So, all these things suggest two potential alternative interpretations:
1. That they are using the same voice-over from the first film
2. That someone else is taking this oath, and the author of the post ascribed it to Thor.

Just some ideas.
It occurred to me that both of those are possible as well. yes. Unfortunately. LOL