View Single Post
Old 12-07-2012, 03:04 PM   #140
NanaT
X-Men United!

Default Re: 'X-men: DOFP' Official CAST Thread (announcements and discussion)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs Vimes View Post
It makes no sense to me to spend more time (or even equal time) in the future when the whole plot of the movie is to change that future through the actions in the past. The past is where the whole crux of the plot actually is and where actions matter the most - not the future which is just basically waiting to be overwritten and the actions there ultimately have no bearing on the outcome.

I know that DoFP is a popular story and all, but when I've read the summary of the comic my impression was that, after the time travel happens, the future scenes are largely pointless and are basically there to serve up some cool fights with the Sentinels. If the movie is giving future!mutants a whole separate storyline it has to be for better reasons than nostalgia and action scenes. What would be the point of showing them fight for survival when their survival and in fact the fate of their entire timeline does not actually depend on their actions?

And another issue which I've mentioned in another thread is how to end that part of the story. Does the timeline stop existing or does that future remain unchanged because of an alternative timeline? Either way is not entirely satisfying as a wrap-up for future!mutants IMO.
I think it depends on the direction Bryan goes with the movie but in the comics the time travel move is a final desperate attempt at saving the future but they future X-Men do actively try to fight not just to defend themselves but to try and stop the sentinels. they go to the Baxter Building which IIRC was the base of operations for the sentinels. They go there in an attempt to destroy the sentinels so they really and truly are depending on themselves rather than on Kitty and her mission in the past.

Remember the whole point of the story is thatthey don't know if the time travel would change anything in the first place. And if Bryan's smart he should leave audience's guessing throughout the movie on whether the future would succeed in getting changed.