View Single Post
Old 12-09-2012, 12:13 PM   #6
The Question
Objectivism doesn't work.

Default Re: Representation in Marvel

Quote:
Originally Posted by JewishHobbit View Post
I honestly don't care whether a character is male, female, lesbian, black, hispanic, or what have you. Just tell a good story.

When it comes to women in comics, I hate how sexualized they can be. Marvel's come strides since the 90s but you still see it at times. I was very happy to see Carol Danver's and Wanda's new looks.

I'll say this though... there are more black, hispanic, gay, and lesbian characters at Marvel than decently portrayed Protestant Christian characters. I've always wanted to see a character with strong Christian values that I could relate to and there isn't a prominate one to be found. Nightcrawler was the best example, as a Catholic, but he's been dead and gone for a while. Wolfesbane is likely next, also Catholic, but I don't feel like her faith is handled well most times. If there is a religious character with decent portrayal they're usually Catholic or Jewish, neither of which I relate to. If there's a Christian character or story, they're oftentimes portrayed as the bad guy, which is enfuriating.
I think the assumption for most characters who don't outright state that they're something specific is that they're theists who identify as Christian, usually some denomination of protestant. That's how the majority of Americans are.

As for the issue of Christian characters often being portrayed as bad guys: It seems to me that there's this sense that most Christian folks keep their faith as a relatively private matter, and the ones who advertise it are usually close minded fire and brimstone evangelists. It's not a totally unreasonable view, the fundamentalist types tend to be the loudest and best advertised. Plus, unlike other minority religions like Judaism or Islam, which have traditionally faced bigotry and intolerance to some degree or another in this country, there's never been a demand on Christianity from our society to justify it's existence. There's never been a need within the community to galvanize itself and show solidarity and conviction with overt displays of cultural pride. So while it might be expected of a proud Jewish person to declare that they are a proud Jewish person to oppose a culture that sometimes takes issue with that notion, it's generally expected that a proud Christian person wouldn't make a big deal about it because there's no real need to, as the culture is much more on their side in this regard. Thus overt displays of Christian religiosity are more associated with the much louder and more visible types who are trying to force their beliefs on others, which is inarguably a bad thing.

Also, as someone who's from a very strongly Episcopalian family, I have to ask, why do you find yourself unable to relate to Catholic characters?

Last edited by The Question; 12-09-2012 at 12:25 PM.
The Question is offline   Reply With Quote