View Single Post
Old 12-09-2012, 11:52 PM   #36
Picard Sisko
Prepare to be Assimilated

Default Re: Rank every comic book film - where do the Spider-Man films fit in?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shikamaru View Post
I am a huge Spider-Man fan (he's my favorite superhero after Bats). However, I don't think we have yet seen a Spider-Man film that should be considered to be one of the greatest comic book films ever made. I thought Spider-Man 1 & 2 were alright films but half-assed Spider-Man adaptations. It lacked the essence, tone, and spirit of Spider-Man and also portrayed the characters inaccurate. Spider-Man 3 was just plain awful in every way. As for TASM, I give it props for it being a good movie and for being the first film I can consider to be an accurate Spider-Man film because it portrays the characters, tone, and spirit of the comics accurately but it's still by no means a great film or the Spider-Man film I'm waiting for. I'm still waiting for the Spider-Man film that I think deserves to be called great and will blow everyone's minds away. It would be a shame if a member of the "Big Three" superheroes (Batman, Superman, and Spider-Man) doesn't get that film in live-action when 2 out of the Big Three have already got an epic great movie like that at least once or twice. Heck, even Iron Man got his first Iron Man film (which was great) and is presumably getting another great film next year, and also was a major character in one of the best comic book movies ever made thus far (The Avengers).

TASM was the movie Spider-Man needed but not the movie he deserved. It was the movie Spider-Man needed in the sense that it truly brought the comics to life and portrayed the characters accurately. But it's not the movie he deserves in the sense that he deserves a great movie very epic-in-scale just like how Batman got the Nolan films (minus TDKR, which I didn't like) and like how Superman got the first two Donner films (which were just that at least for their time) and will presumably also get Man of Steel to be just as great and epic.

It's time to get serious, Sony. You have your first good, accurate, and up-to-date Spider-Man adaptation. You got your perfect cast. You got the right tone. You got the origin out of the way. You got the burden of rebooting a big franchise out of the way. Now it's time to get serious. Give us that great Spider-Man movie that deserves to be considered one of the greatest comic book movies ever made and in the top 10. I really hope TASM 2 will be just this.
Although the Raimi films never really depicted Spider-Man very accurately, I still think that Spider-Man 2 should be considered one of the greatest CBMs ever made. It depicts the life of a superhero, the struggles that come along with it, and the sacrifices that must be made in order to be one. Compared to movies that portray Batman, Superman, Iron Man, Fantastic 4, the X-Men, etc., this movie IMO shows us what superheroes would really be like if they existed.

SM1 is a great origin film, and it really set the standard for CBMs in general at the time. I still love watching it despite the film's aging, and think it stands as one of the best comic book adaptions of all time (based on my signature, you can see that lol)

I think with the new trilogy, they really have the opportunity to make one of the greatest CBMs. TASM set up the franchise so well IMO.

"No matter how small I am--no matter how hopeless everything seems--I mustn't give up! My size doesn't matter! Even my life doesn't matter! No one can win--every battle, but--no man should fall-- without a struggle!"
Picard Sisko is offline   Reply With Quote