View Single Post
Old 12-10-2012, 01:13 AM   #897
Rust
First Son Of Yesterday

Default Re: Hans Zimmer Scoring The Man of Steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by I SEE SPIDEY View Post
Am I the only one who doesn't give a crap if Superman has a proper theme? I know everyone wants one because they are stuck on the old theme but I don't care as long as the soundtrack is good. I also don't care if it's traditional orchestrated music or not as long as the music is good and fits the film. I'm a total score whore but I've never been a theme one and do not understand the obsession with it.

I loved Elfman and Shirley Walkers Batman scores for the Burton films and Timm/Dini animated series and I also loved Zimmers and Newton Howards in the Nolan version.

I loved the Williams Superman score (I'm thinking of changing my ringtone to it). It's big and iconic and noone will ever forget it but unless Zimmer pulls a Newton Howard on Green Lantern I think that he's going to come up a good score like he did with Batman.
I'm with you. A fanfare ala Williams' for when Superman enters the frame is about as far away from what I want in MOS as it can come. I do want a Superman-theme in MOS, but I'd prefer something more subtle and building AND I wouldnt mind the TDK-approach where the theme builds throughout the entire trilogy along with the character. I do want recurring themes to just random cues, but subtlety really is the key here and not how obvious Williams did it in Superman and Star Wars in the 70s.
And just to make it clear, I still think Williams' Superman-theme is the greatest CBM-theme ever.