View Single Post
Old 12-10-2012, 01:01 AM   #39
DACrowe
Side-Kick

Default Re: Rank every comic book film - where do the Spider-Man films fit in?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Picard Sisko View Post
Although the Raimi films never really depicted Spider-Man very accurately, I still think that Spider-Man 2 should be considered one of the greatest CBMs ever made. It depicts the life of a superhero, the struggles that come along with it, and the sacrifices that must be made in order to be one. Compared to movies that portray Batman, Superman, Iron Man, Fantastic 4, the X-Men, etc., this movie IMO shows us what superheroes would really be like if they existed.

SM1 is a great origin film, and it really set the standard for CBMs in general at the time. I still love watching it despite the film's aging, and think it stands as one of the best comic book adaptions of all time (based on my signature, you can see that lol)

I think with the new trilogy, they really have the opportunity to make one of the greatest CBMs. TASM set up the franchise so well IMO.
Agreed. I'd actually go further. I think Raimi nailed the tone and spirit of the Stan Lee comics and really the tone of the Spidey comics from the 1960s to the late 1980s, even if he didn't get the details of Peter Parker, Mary Jane et al. right. I agree that the details are off, but the overall tone is right. TASM does not feel like the comics. It feels like a studio film trying to pander to what they think are popular trends (i.e. seriousness of Dark Knight, reboot of Bond/Batman, high school angst of Twilight).

It is not really the comics, even if Garfield has Peter down better. Just my opinion.

--John Adams
DACrowe is offline   Reply With Quote