View Single Post
Old 12-10-2012, 01:04 AM   #546
BatLobsterRises
Lobsterized

Default Re: TDKR Oscar Chances? - Part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by DACrowe View Post
I would say TDKR has a better chance simply because it could be perceived as a nod to the ambition of the whole trilogy--in particular TDK which the Academy infamously snubbed in 2008 thereby creating this whole 10 picture nominating system.
That's kind of how I see it. It's the last chance for the Academy to honor this particular body of work, so I feel like if any tentpole film deserves a nom this year, it's this one.

At the same time, the Bond franchise is another really old, beloved franchise, so I'd be happy for Skyfall to pick up the nomination as well, even though I don't think it's quite as great as TDKR.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBat812 View Post
One thing I think really holds Nolan films back is that their genius is only appreciated with many repeated viewings. On the surface they tend to exploit convention so well that you know it was entertaining, but then beneath that there's so much thought and meaning put into every little facet. I doubt many Academy voters put that kind of time into it.
I tend to agree. I do think this is probably the case for a good amount of the Academy voters. The problem is they don't consider a CB movie as something worthy of approaching with that level of thought. I think they can tell the movie is "trying" to be smart, and this further turns them off.

My take on why there is no "DC Films" Division at WB:
http://forums.superherohype.com/show...&postcount=158