View Single Post
Old 12-10-2012, 05:08 PM   #16
Quasimod0
Bell-Ringer

Default Re: Representation in Marvel

Quote:
Originally Posted by JewishHobbit View Post
Northstar could be a cool character but he's sorta just become "the gay mutant" of late. I only read the first 5 or 6 issues of Liu's Astonishing X-Men but it even came accross that way there. It's almost like it was a team book to draw people in but it was really the Northstar dealing with his sexualty title. I'm not against that but it didn't feel very organic to me.

I think they've done a fine job with Wiccan and Hulkling, so there's that.

That's part of what bothers me. I've never been Baptist but I've known some wonderful people of that denomination, and yet only the "nutjobs" are portrayed... well... pretty much everywhere. I was a Penticostal Christian for years and knew some wonderful christian people. Not a one of us were snake handlers or long haired holiness, or child-beating people. Some were a bit more extreme in their opinions of what's good and what's bad, but they had reason at least. They weren't hatred spewers.
As a pentacostal christian man i agree with you. Personally i dont even know any snake handlers or anything like that. I'm friends with some people who dont cut their hair or wear pants or whatever but I'm not in that denomination. I agree that there are not enough Christian characters out there. There may be a couple of catholic characters, but thats not the same as a protestant character. Religious people of any kind are rarely portrayed well in comics it seems
But one thing you have to think of is; in a world filled with all of the crazy stuff that goes on, like superhuman people, aliens, different dimension, reality altering people, all of that. Where does God fit into that fictional world?

Saving Mr. Banks- 9/10, Jack Ryan- 7/10, The Lego Movie- 9/10, Non-Stop- 8/10, Captain America: The Winter Soldier- 10/10, The Amazing Spider-Man 2-8/10, Godzilla- 7/10, Days of Future Past- 8/10, Edge of Tomorrow- 8.5/10, Transformers 4- 7.5/10, Dawn of the Planet of the Apes- 10/10, Guardians of the Galaxy- 9/10
Quasimod0 is offline   Reply With Quote