View Single Post
Old 12-11-2012, 05:02 AM   #55
BatmanBeyond
Future Dark Knight

Default Re: Does Bane being a PURELY physical threat hamper him as a villain?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BatLobsterRises View Post
I agree. Sure, on paper it sounds like it could be a complete rehash. I remember someone made this WAY back before any details about TDKR were known and it became something of a meme on here if I'm not mistaken:

Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:

Now, it is kind of funny how strangely on target that is, but the thing is- the execution of these elements in TDKR made it feel completely fresh and exciting, to me anyway. A lot of that has to do with Bane and the type of evil that he represents.

What's so messed up about Bane and Talia's LOS is that it's like they themselves inflict a situation upon Gotham wherein it's allowed to become more and more morally depraved and in need of "cleansing". Then again, this may not be so dissimilar to Ra's after all since he himself originally attacked Gotham economically, which helped grow it into the cesspool of crime and corruption we saw in Batman Begins. But that's a very subtle similarity.

I also just really love that Ra's al Ghul casts such a shadow over the trilogy. He is given some of the most iconic and important lines in one of the first scenes of Begins, and they echo very strongly into Rises.

If we compare this trilogy to The Godfather, Liam is the Vito to Bale's Michael. Only it would be a story where Michael ultimately rejects the mafia lifestyle and chooses a path of good. There's just a lot of richness there, especially when you get into Bane and Bruce being the two estranged sons of Ra's, individually embodying his best and worst qualities.
Agreed on all accounts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBat812 View Post
It's also awesomely ironice that Bane really is what ra's had intended Bruce to become, but had shunned away out of the pain from his loss. But I do love how Ra's does influence the entire series. Including what kind of a Batman he becomes in TDK and subsequently TDKR.
Indeed. It's interesting to note that had Bruce joined Ra's in BB, he would've practically been a combination of both Bane (due to his training and physicality) and Talia (as an influential member of the Wayne Board).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anno_Domini View Post
The LoS returning makes it feel like a trilogy though, imo. Coming full circle and taking on the LoS since they were the first major battle for Batman.
It is indeed somewhat of a rehash, but it's not done without a purpose. It's done in order to serve Bruce's story and character arc and in that sense I think it's fully justified.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BatLobsterRises View Post
Yup, lol. Just imagine it...

"I live for this sh**!"

Cracked.com's Bat Battle: http://www.cracked.com/article_15029...ie-batman.html

Last edited by BatmanBeyond; 12-11-2012 at 05:09 AM.
BatmanBeyond is offline   Reply With Quote