View Single Post
Old 12-11-2012, 08:11 AM   #57
The Joker
Clown Prince of Crime

Default Re: Does Bane being a PURELY physical threat hamper him as a villain?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed bane, just felt it would have been better without all this full circle stuff IMO. I really think Nolan was onto something by making fresh and different batman movies in each outing and tdkr definitely felt like a full circle kind of movie. Some love it, some don't. Nothing wrong with having differing opinions.
It didn't feel like it even came full circle, IMO. Just because a movie decides to dredge up something that was in the first movie doesn't make it full circle. Spider-Man 3 didn't make the trilogy feel full circle because they went back to Spider-Man 1 and connected Sandman to Uncle Ben's death. Technically it didn't contradict anything shown in Spider-Man 1 but it didn't feel like something that Spider-Man 1 left dangling for resolution, much like the LOS in Begins. Nothing in Batman Begins hinted at what we got in TDKR. No Bane, no Talia. Neither of these characters were even vaguely hinted at in Begins. They were both fabrications of TDKR. Begins didn't leave any dangling plot lines that needed future clarification or resolution, aside from Crane being on the loose, and a new theatrical criminal who leaves Joker cards at scene of his crimes. Both were dealt with in TDK.

You're so right, there was no need to bring anything back to Batman Begins to make the trilogy feel whole and complete. Take the recent Toy Story trilogy as an example. Toy Story 3 didn't rehash or revisit anything from the original movie. It felt new, unique, and still felt connected to the previous movies and delivered a satisfying conclusion.

The jarring thing is Batman Begins and The Dark Knight were both so unique, and yet both felt connected to each other. TDK took what Begins left off on, namely the escalation Gordon mentioned, Joker, the mob adapting to Batman's presence, a new D.A. since Finch was murdered, Rachel's word to Bruce about them being together one day etc. All set up in Begins, and therefore TDK felt like a natural continuation. I expected the same of TDKR, but the plot furniture was basically just a polished up rehash of Batman Begins.

- The Joker

Last edited by The Joker; 12-11-2012 at 09:32 AM.
The Joker is offline   Reply With Quote