View Single Post
Old 12-12-2012, 08:47 AM   #40
Skrilla31
Side-Kick

Default Re: Man of Steel Box Office Prediction Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liam_H View Post
Yes, I think you are. The way your talking its as if people would have went to this movie in droves just because of the character himself. But that didn't happen with Superman Returns. So if that movie never happened I don't see how this movie could've garnered this much interest in the 7 years since.
That's because Superman Returns was too reliant on the previous franchise. I'm not sure fans were salivating to re-visit the Donnerverse. It didn't feel fresh. The trailer might have won some nostalgia points with older fans but it did little excite the world for the return of Superman. It had a s****y looking Superman with a s****y looking Superman costume, it had a campy as f*** as Lex Luthor, and it had a super kid. I know at the time people didn't want to rush to judgment but from the moment they unveiled Routh in the costume, there was a stink surrounding the movie they were never quite able to shake off. Knowing what we know now about that movie, it's amazing it did as well it did.

This is the movie that should have come out in it's place. Had THIS trailer debuted back in '06, I can guarantee you the final numbers would have **** on what Returns did. This feels like this generation's definitive Superman film, not some throwback.