View Single Post
Old 12-12-2012, 08:44 PM   #128
X-Maniac
High Evolutionary

Default Re: Who should the focus be on in DOFP??

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMM View Post
This is Days of Future Past, not the would be X-Men 4 Halle Berry asked fans to demand 6 years ago. If Bryan Singer, the writers, etc. pick up a comic book and look at Storm's portrayal, particularly her portrayal in Days of Future Past, Storm is not going to be a fashionable goddess, wandering around a dystopian future with her 1990s lightning bolt earings intact. A stronger character? Hopefully. But I think some of these suggestions are a bit unrealistic.
I'm not asking for her to be sauntering around the streets in designer gear. But her whole look needs upgrading to something more comic-accurate and something more sexy. Scarlet Johansson's Black Widow and Anne Hathaway's Catwoman never looked stupid in skintight outfits - Catwoman even managed to run, fight and ride a motorcycle in spike-heeled thigh-high boots, so it can be done.

It would be silly to bring back these iconic actors and characters and then dress them all in scruffy street clothing, like Storm's green boilersuit and Ugg boots from the DoFP comic. Please God, no.

Again, let's look at the Avengers. I imagine everyone could do with a suit of Iron Man armour for that battle against the Chitauri, but they each wore the costumes they are supposed to wear - and no one complained about it. Cap still had his helmet and shield, Hawkeye his tunic and quiver. Not perfect by any means (especially for Black Widow to be shown cocking two handguns against the alien laser weapons, and her hairstyle wasn't as good as it was in IM2), but they were the characters they were portraying without too many modifications and practical considerations. Same with Catwoman - that outfit was hardly practical, yet she pulled it all off and Nolan even found a rationale for the pointy ears.

I am not bothered about seeing Storm in lightning-design earrings, but there are things that can be done to make the costuming look a) better b) more like the comics.