View Single Post
Old 12-14-2012, 09:49 AM   #875
The Eradicator
Side-Kick

Default Re: Am I the only one that feels like TDKR prevents Nolan's trilogy from being perfec

I think over time, Batfans are going to be divided over this trilogy regarding its portrayal of Bruce Wayne's story. The problem is, since TDKR brought a definitive end to this incarnation of Bruce Wayne's journey and took the message of the first two films towards a solid conclusion, its always going to get more hate. Here's why:

I think many of you will agree that after BB and TDK, Bruce Wayne's story could have gone either way. In other words, he could have either become the Batman we know in the comics, where he has embraced his destiny and realized that he is Batman now and forever, or he could have eventually retired when he felt that his mission was accomplished.

There are hints and clues in BB and TDK towards both of those interpretations, but the frustration of some fans with TDKR is that it takes one interpretation and establishes it as final and conclusive. Of course, as I've said on many occasions, I think Ledger's death really threw a wrench into what the third film could have been. Nolan even mentioned that he and Goyer were at first struggling to come up with a story for a third film, that they were stuck in a rut (and that's where the genesis of MOS came about, interestingly enough), and it all came together when they realized that they could simply fast forward to the conclusion of Bruce Wayne's arc.

BB and TDK set the stage for different possibilities, but TDKR will always be haunted by the specter of "what-if?", and I think that's the problem with many conclusions to trilogies in general.