View Single Post
Old 12-14-2012, 05:58 PM   #927
BatLobsterRises
Lobsterized

Default Re: Am I the only one that feels like TDKR prevents Nolan's trilogy from being perfec

Quote:
Originally Posted by C. Lee View Post
I said....I believe that Bruce quit being Batman because of Rachel's death.

I said there were other reasons beyond that....that made me dislike the movie.

So.....saying that Ralf (or whoever, I have no idea who he is) is STUPID because he thinks that Bruce quit being Batman because of Rachel's death...is saying that ANYONE who has that opinion (which includes me) is stupid.

The whole point of my making my post was to put my opinion, that he and others call stupid, out there. Because others on here have that opinion also, but are afraid of being ganged up on by the rest of you guys.

Too many people on the Hype can not stand hearing someone say something contrary to the popular stand. They consider any deviation from the popular as trolling. You can have an opposite opinion without being a troll.
Okay, well, to me there is a difference between what Anno said and actually calling somebody another poster stupid for their opinion on here.

It's one thing to offer up an interpretation and opinion, or reasons for disliking a movie. Ralph Garman, while he was on Kevin Smith's podcast, offered no such interpretation as yours. He didn't do anything to back up his opinion, he just claimed that Batman would never quit over a dead girlfriend, and he proceeded to base the majority of his criticism of the movie on this point when the movie has tons of information pointing to the contrary. This, IMO, indeed made him look foolish and quick to jump to conclusions.

That's not to say anyone who has the viewpoint should put in the same category. I had never thought of the interpretation of Batman lying to himself that you mentioned. While I don't agree with it and I don't believe there was an intended double meaning with that scene, I can appreciate that viewpoint because at least some thought went into it and it's an interesting way of looking at it. The same cannot be said for all who attack that part of the movie. Some people's opinions on this are based on a willful ingnorance towards what is presented in the film. Ralph Garman being the prime example.

And also, I'd be really surprised if anybody is too scared to express a negative opinion on here. There's a healthy amount of people on the forum who make negative posts about the movie regularly. Plenty of them are posters I like and have had some fun, spirited debates with. Heck, some days I feel like loving TDKR is more the minority opinion on here. Even if that's not the case, I really think the days of this forum being a bunch of "Nolanites" who just jump all over anyone who says anything negative are over. There has been a healthy back and forth on this movie since its release.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BatmanBeyond View Post
Now, granted, it doesn't contain the phrase 'exclusively base their dislike' as I had originally thought, but I think it's pretty clear that BatLobster was referring to people who make the false fact (The Joker had just provided some conclusive evidence in this sense a couple of posts before that, from the actual movie no less) that Bruce retired for 8 years because of Rachel the basis for their dislike of the entire movie. AD's post was a direct response to that.
Correct. Even though I didn't say "exclusively", that's basically what I meant, because if you listen to that podcast it's clear that this is what upset Ralph the most. I just thought it was a shame because I feel like if someone presented him the facts as The Joker had laid them out, he might end up being able to appreciate the film more.

My take on why there is no "DC Films" Division at WB:
http://forums.superherohype.com/show...&postcount=158

Last edited by BatLobsterRises; 12-14-2012 at 06:03 PM.