View Single Post
Old 12-15-2012, 01:04 PM   #955
KalMart
239-Bean Irish Chili

Default Re: Am I the only one that feels like TDKR prevents Nolan's trilogy from being perfec

Quote:
Originally Posted by BatLobsterRises View Post
I respect your opinion KalMart, and I think you have a very level-headed and unbiased assessment of the film. As I said, a lot of my reaction to it is emotional and visceral, which is hard for me to discount because I think that is largely what the film was aiming for. It did play into a lot of the conventional trappings of "the third movie", but for me, a lot of these elements were more enjoyable than they might otherwise have been in the hands of Nolan. I do think you're right that he tried extra hard to make it clear that this was a definitive ending, because of the ongoing nature of Batman in general and the natural expectation for there to always be a sequel. At the same time, I enjoyed that this was the first cinematic Batman universe where the events of each film carry real weight into the subsequent films, rather than everything being in some kind of vague continuity like the previous franchise.

It's biggest flaw is being overly ambitious, and I say this about a lot of overly ambitious films- that's my favorite flaw for a movie to have. I'd rather a movie of this scale be so large and ambitious that it leaves me wanting a little more, rather than be left with the feeling that the filmmakers didn't challenge themselves or the audience enough. And to be honest, both Batman Begins and TDK had that super tight, packed to the brim, almost montage-esque feel to them in places, that I felt like I was prepared for TDKR to go there when it sought out to encompass such a large canvas. Nolan talks a lot about films like Blade Runner and Star Wars that create an entire world that's off the screen and for me, TDKR really did that.
Honestly, I don't really 'blame' the movie a whole lot, and I'm probably a lot more forgiving than I may sound. If anything, it's a good example that things naturally run their course in many films...especially when the narratives for installments entail history/life-changing storylines. And certainly, I would never say that someone is better off not wasting the 2:45 to watch the movie as I would say for others....it's definitely worth a watch. But a certain 'magic' did wear off by the third movie, and that was disappointing, even though not a deal killer.

Plus, is the infatuation that teenage girls have with pseudo-vampires any less sad than your infatuation with men in spandex and Heath Ledger? Its probably more justifiable for them. :)