View Single Post
Old 12-16-2012, 09:37 PM   #655
American Maid
Side-Kick

Default Re: Tom Hiddleston: Loki Redux

Quote:
Originally Posted by elizah72 View Post
So many many wonderful layers to MCU Loki, so much going on in that head of his.
Indeed. Interesting to think about.

Quote:
Loki believes he knows best, and that is a large part of what drives him in these two films. Is it evil to believe that he can lead the Midgardians into an age of peace just as what his father wanted him to do with the Frost Giants? No, of course that's not evil. not at all. If however one goes about it, in a very misguided "the end justifies the means" kind of way, as Loki does, then that's where the evil acts come in. . . . Much the same way that Thor at the beginning of Thor 1 acts on his intention of protecting Asgard in a very wrong misguided way.

. . . Note this behavior all falls under a theme of "moral sacrifice" which we believe will be a continued theme in Thor 2.

. . . Why did Loki let the FG's in then, you may ask? The answer is he was being a hero for Asgard in his own mind. He loves Thor, and at that point accepted Thor would be king at some point, but he truly believed that Thor was not ready, no matter what father said. And so for the good of Asgard he creates this distraction, to push the coronation back more, and he'd probably done all he could to drag it out prior to that too, for the same reason.
This aspect that Loki perceives his actions to be for the good of Asgard is one that I had not considered in my earlier posts. I can see how Loki feels that way. His analysis is not completely correct of course (though not completely incorrect, either, as your example of Thor's tantrum shows).

And as you point out, Thor's exile comes over similar actions. (Of course, Loki did goad him a bit there.)

Quote:
Going back to if he wants to be king or what. I think he wants what's best for Asgard, in Thor 1. And he comes to the conclusion that he is what's best, not Thor, and he has to make Father see that any means possible. He wants father's approval and to be the "worthy son".
I think he also wants Odin's approval for its own sake.

Quote:
when it all comes crashing in around him, after being so close to having that approval, mother and father's love, his place and purpose in the world, and feeling worthwhile, that is when he snaps and we get that " is it madness?" moment with the tear. Ken actually instructed Tom that he wanted to see something in his brain snap, . . . But it's basically I think a "how am I the only one who sees, that I am right? Is he calling me mad?" moment... not to mention, partially probably "is it madness for me to want a purpose and place in the world? Is he saying I am so worthless to not deserve that?"
I am inclined to think Loki tends to think that himself, to be so vulnerable to the idea.

Quote:
RE: Brother... I believe the times he's throwing out the world "brother" there at Thor in a very bitter painful and/or spiteful way. His heart is broken he is not Thor's brother, not Odin and Frigga's son but a son of a "monster", not truly a son of his beloved Asgard, and his jealousy and anger over everything.
The maddening irony is that they still consider him a brother, a son, and they all tell him so. But he cannot accept that. Could he accept it in the future?

I said:
Quote:
So what's Loki's deal in the MCU? What is he really after? And will he obtain it in Thor2?
Quote:
I think he is a god of chaos truly now, he has no place in the world. The place in the world he thought had as a brother and a son was a lie. The purpose that Odin had for him is no longer possible. He is in chaos.
Now that the events of The Avengers have happened, he can't be privileged royalty now. And he has hurt his family, so those relationships have changed. But I think they still consider him part of the family, after all this. (It would be like the scenario I mentioned a while back of family members traveling to see their loved ones in prison.) But maybe he could not bring himself to accept that, because he had been living a lie all these years. So maybe his solace must come from somewhere else. (I'm still mulling over this, so I would be receptive to a compelling case to the contrary.)

Quote:
So I guess I feel the thing that would bring him happiness and calm his now chaotic mind is stability and a purpose in life that makes him feel worthwhile. How they can bring him to that point in future films I don't know but should be interesting.
Yes. What can that be? Can Loki quench this thirst? Can he come to the point where he feels he is worthwhile? Is it achievable?

Quote:
note: Loki's comics and myth, wife Sigyn, aka "victorious woman" she is the goddess of Fidelity, but also the Goddess of Constancy. If he is Chaos, she is stability and constancy, the quality of being enduring and unchanging. An "odd couple" indeed.
I think in myths they often pair contrasting elements. So to me it would make perfect sense that constancy is paired with chaos.

"I have lived many ages of men, Steven. Centuries without end. I have seen many great men, and known countless honors. But the greatest honor of this ancient and tired soul has been the privilege of fighting beside you, and calling you my friend."