View Single Post
Old 12-17-2012, 02:01 PM   #674
American Maid
Side-Kick

Default Re: Tom Hiddleston: Loki Redux

Quote:
Originally Posted by elizah72 View Post
RE: Sigyn and Loki... see that is my fear, that she would be an enabler to the addict or the abused wife that stays loyal to an abusive husband, if they use her in MCU. And that would be a very very VERY bad message to send to young girls who may be watching for Tom and Chris and Zach. It's a bad message to send a blatant "a good woman can fix him" message too... and I agree an "enabler" would not be able to help him out of that deep dark pit he's dug himself into.

However, her helping him onto a better path, is certainly a story that can be told without sending those messages, but it has to be told very carefully. Because in reality, staying with an abusive husband or boyfriend, or trying to fix the bad boy is really really really not a good idea for a young woman to get involved with.
Yeah, they have to be very careful about that. And since it's been used with regularity in the past, it can be hard to avoid it (see the Joss Whedon quote about why he keeps writing strong female characters).

In a similar (but lighter) vein, I have kind of mixed feelings about the Pepper-Tony relationship. Although I enjoy their banter, there's an element of her being essentially Wendy to his Peter Pan.

Quote:
So they'd have to rewrite the whole Loki Sigyn story from the comics quite a bit to do that, starting with making sure that Loki is not abusive to her, and making it actually make sense that she could be in love with him (since it doesn't make any sense whatsoever from what I've seen in the panels)... and very importantly making her her own person separate from him and his needs and problems, and even willing to leave him if he doesn't straighten himself out and let go of his hate. Now, that I'd like to see, the other scenario I would hate to see and it would probably turn me off the whole franchise.
I agree. Not certain how they could orchestrate it. Maybe it's not possible.

<I asked whether Loki loves anyone, in any of the continuities>
Quote:
Yes, and I think there are lines in both films that point to him having been in love in the past (or Loki's version of love, anyway), as I've talked to you about before in PM. Probably loved and lost. If not meant by the writers in the first place, then there are certainly openings to write it in to the MCU, should they choose to do so.
Well, I confess that had slipped my mind (sorry! ) But I would have probably left the question open anyway, so as to give you the freedom to share as little or as much of that as you preferred.

Quote:
I recall reading somewhere Jane referred to as Thor's first love in MCU, I mean.... how sad is that? He's 1000 years old and he's never been in love before? I mean, come on! (well if you count being in love with yourself! LOL)
Well. . .some people are late bloomers

More seriously, I think that it was from a press release or perhaps the plot synopsis from the first film. Probably it was an "oops", or else written by someone not very familiar with the books.

"I have lived many ages of men, Steven. Centuries without end. I have seen many great men, and known countless honors. But the greatest honor of this ancient and tired soul has been the privilege of fighting beside you, and calling you my friend."