View Single Post
Old 12-17-2012, 01:34 PM   #678
American Maid
Side-Kick

Default Re: Tom Hiddleston: Loki Redux

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aging Fangirl View Post
I love complex psychological studies, especially those of characters whose minds are like "bags of cats".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aging Fangirl View Post
I can agree with this to an extent, but there is definitely a cruel element to Loki's character. I don't know if it's due to nature or nurture - I'm asssuming there are centries worth of MCU Thor/Loki back story we're not yet privy to - but it's there. Having said that, I have to disagree with this:

<Day of triumph will come with time>

I don't think Loki had any intention of Thor ever coming back... . That scene in Thor I where he appears to Thor in the SHIELD interrogation room ... still gives me chills.

I agree that his intention might have been to do what he felt was best for Asguard, but his methods left no room at all for brotherly feeling.
Regarding the earlier scene that you quoted, where Thor had just overturned the table, and Loki tells him his rule will come with time--at that moment, do you think Loki was anticipating Thor being exiled?

Me, I'm not so certain. For one, neither of the boys are as mature or as wise as Odin. For another, as that scene plays out, Loki seems to react like this situation is spinning a little bit out of his control.

I agree, though, that he rolls with what develops and leverages it pretty ruthlessly later on to secure his own power.

"I have lived many ages of men, Steven. Centuries without end. I have seen many great men, and known countless honors. But the greatest honor of this ancient and tired soul has been the privilege of fighting beside you, and calling you my friend."