View Single Post
Old 12-17-2012, 02:04 PM   #680
elizah72
Side-Kick

Default Re: Tom Hiddleston: Loki Redux

Quote:
Originally Posted by American Maid View Post
Regarding the earlier scene that you quoted, where Thor had just overturned the table, and Loki tells him his rule will come with time--at that moment, do you think Loki was anticipating Thor being exiled?
no I think he was anticipating Thor would be king eventually when he was ready, but he was also purposely trying to get him to aggravate Odin, so that it wouldn't come too soon, because Thor really isn't ready. And this had probably gone on for a while.

I think the speech Loki gives in the pre coronation deleted scene is him being truthful actually. and he's also being truthful in the healing room scene where he says he' loves Thor more dearly than any of you. But those feeling twist around on themselves during the course of the film for various reasons.

Quote:
Me, I'm not so certain. For one, neither of the boys are as mature or as wise as Odin. For another, as that scene plays out, Loki seems to react like this situation is spinning a little bit out of his control.
I think he was hoping that Odin would show up just before they land on Jotunheim and chastise Thor and then Thor being king would be put off for a bit, and that was all the goal he had *at that time*. I definitely think things got out of his control quickly and one of my favorite little things is when they first land on Jotunheim, and Loki has this "whoah. *** just got real" look in his face. LOL

Quote:
Elements I glean from the above:
Someone has to be in charge. People need structure; they can't rule themselves.
Who gets to decide who is in charge?
What gives someone else the right to decide to take charge of where I live?

In response to which I quote:
"Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed."
Yup. But did all the 9 realms consent to being governed by Odin and the Asgardians? Probably not. And that's what may very well be the most exciting and interesting part of Thor 2, I hope.

Quote:
One comment about thirst-quenching: as I'm using it, that refers to the thing that he is missing. He is seeking power to quench that thirst, but per our earlier discussion, what he appears to really need is respect and appreciation, from the people around him to be sure. I think he also needs to develop it for himself. Having people fear him might serve as a proxy, but it would be a poor substitute.

I agree with Elizah's comments about some of the things Loki would need to do to gain the approval he craves.

I also think his animosity toward Thor arises out of this primary thirst. It would seem he resents Thor for having the acceptance of those around him. He is literally the tow-haired child of the family. If the primary deficit is addressed, then I think this secondary issue will be abated.
Yes. I would agree. But certainly I don't see Thor as being able to do that, he is too much the focal point of Loki's rage, but perhaps Frigga, or Odin, or someone else could help him with that.

Last edited by elizah72; 12-17-2012 at 02:07 PM.