View Single Post
Old 12-18-2012, 11:39 AM   #90
BlueLightning
Caballero de la Luz

Default Re: The "Nolan's views on Batman villains" thread

I kind of disagree there. I don't dispute that The Joker is the opposite of Batman, his perfect enemy and true nemesis. But Bane does have some qualities on the comics that make him an "evil Batman" of sorts. On Rises is more evident, whereas in the comics is a little more nuanced. Chris Sims, from Comics Alliance made an interesting analysis a year ago about Bane, and whereas some things could be a little far fetched, it makes some good points. I'll made a little summary below.

Batman is born into a world of privilege, receiving almost everything as a legacy from his father. Bane is sentenced for life on prison because to pay for his father's crimes, born to nothing except his athletic prowess and intelligence, traits he shares with Batman. Batman travels around the world to better himself, whereas Bane is confined to a small and hostile environment. Bane grows driven by vengeance to take what he wants without concern for those around him. Batman doesn't kill, whereas Bane would "kill for anything"....

A hero can be anyone. Even a man doing something as simple and reassuring as putting a coat around a young boy's shoulders to let him know that the world hadn't ended.

BlueLightning is offline   Reply With Quote