View Single Post
Old 12-19-2012, 07:55 AM   #370
MichaelChen
Side-Kick

Default Re: The IRON MAN 3 News & Speculation Thread - Part 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by LokiDionysos View Post
Maybe he has seen all of a rough cut in various pieces. What he's talking about, about musical themes, is important to each scene and how that scene would progress, where to place changes in the music etc.

So maybe he's seen it all, at least scene by scene. he talks about developing certain themes for characters that he can play around with in later scenes, so he probably has to know what their role will be in those scenes.

It's even important for bands that are included on the soundtrack/in the movie/in trailers to know some of the movie. Especially when writing a new song in conjunction with the movie like with Soundgarden's "Live to rise". It had thematic connections to what was going on in the movie even though it was only played in the credits. Fury knows the Avengers will return again because we'll need them to after the next wave of darkness. Like the sun, they'll rise to the challenge of overcoming the darkness again. They never really disappeared and can be counted on to return. Even the choice of using "We're in this together now" by NIN in the first Avengers trailer had thematic ties--there has to be a balance between the theme in the rock songs used and the availability/price of the artist being featured.
This guy may also know which rock songs/bands to work in at marvel's request. If one has knowledge about which songs they are, then it can help figure out some of the themes in IM3, which leads to connecting other things. So in future trailers even the rock songs used will hold general thematic ties to what's going on in this movie. Shoot to thrill being indicative of Stark's showman like nature as he arrives at the Expo in IM2. The actual Iron Man song by Black Sabbath was used for the closing credits of the first movie after he said he was Iron Man. Stark wears Black Sabbath shirts.
Another song has to be chosen to represent what's going on here...
this is related to how I get some of my info and came up with my theories... but only some of my info, and not much.
that's why I said I'm like Wardell--ultimately I'm still speculating from a lot of tiny scraps of info and using my knowledge about Marvel to combine them. Sadly. But some of my scraps are very likely true because of the positions of some of the people I've talked to. I'm not gonna claim I know exactly how everything happens because that would be worse than Wardell. But I've drawn from a number of different sources because of some of my connections as a consultant. I'm a part-time musician but I've only heard things coming from that direction, not directly involved in any capacity.
The band Tool is one of my favs. They're definitely close to the final stages of their new album that will be released sometime in 2013 and have connections with Marvel Studios already.

Even though Sabbath was disbanded at the time, Tony's shirt in Avengers shows the connection with the people representing Sabbath. They're promoting them a little, but Marvel already had to pay them a little to use Sabbath's Iron Man to conclude the first movie (which put a really big smile on my face). Sabbath's making a return soon and Ozzy has rejoined the band. Minus the original drummer, he has some problems with Sharon that go far back. Expect a little more Sabbath promotion at the end of the movie. I've heard the new Sabbath stuff is going to be a hell of a lot better than Ozzy's latest efforts. Black Sabbath's new album is being released in April. Last year when they reunited to start playing shows they began working on this album and by late October they began to finalize and record (lots of sources have record of this). Not sure where it fits. Probably a song during the credits like the Foo Fighters song in Thor. Album/movie both released around the same time. An old song may be part of their cross-promotional campaign in some ways.

Generals gathered in their masses
Just like witches at black masses
Evil minds that plot destruction
Sorcerers of death's construction
In the fields the bodies burning
As the War Machine keeps turning
Death and hatred to mankind
Poisoning their brainwashed minds

Mandarin works the political angle through the senate but he wants anarchy and is a general and sorcerer in his own right. He makes things happen and controls his own small army.
I don't know about movie Mandarin, but comic Mandarin is a social darwinian and the enemy of civilization. He wants anarchy because that allows to the strong to thrive and the weak to perish.

He wants anarchy but he's not remotely an anarchist in the political sense of the word. Political anarchists believe that anarchy would bring peace and harmony.

The Mandarin knows that anarchy would create a Mad Max world of violance, and he loves that. He's a social darwinian who wants anarchy to promote his social darwinian agenda. He's not a true anarchist in the political/idealist sense.