View Single Post
Old 12-19-2012, 01:05 PM   #711
elizah72
Side-Kick

Default Re: Tom Hiddleston: Loki Redux

Quote:
Originally Posted by American Maid View Post
They certainly will take his power seriously. The missed opportunity from before the events of Thor1 was to treat positive use of magic as a success equal to that of positive use of fighting ability, so that Loki as a child could have learned to value the abilities he has, instead of fruitlessly trying to be Thor.
and he's really trying to be Thor and Odin in Avengers, by starting a war and getting into power that way. The Other says "you will have your war", indicating that was a part of the bargain. That is what father and big brother did to become respected so that's what he'll do now.... at least subconsciously I think that is one of the many elements going on in his head there. Thor starts wars and gets father's forgiveness and love anyway, Loki feels he tried to stop a war with the frost giants before it begins and he gets cast aside and exiled (in his head). So now "There is only the war."

Quote:
With all that's happened, it may not be possible to regard Loki's abilities so unreservedly going forward. I have the impression that is a theme from the kid Loki arc: even though this Loki is starting over at an age where he might yet turn a different way, he can't come out from under the weight of his past and his fellow Asgardians' expectations of him. The implication was that he was going to wind up the same as he always had; it was fate. I haven't read this arc, so I don't know if it actually worked out that way. But it strikes me as an interesting idea. So maybe they will examine it in this film: is Loki's fate locked in at this point, even if he has a change of heart?
I haven't read that all either, numerous panels though and I do know the ending... JIM ending spoilers below if interested...

Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
So basically it ends with Kid Loki being taken over by old Loki who has been orchestrating things all along. Before this take over, Kid Loki says something like "never forget, I won I changed" and then old Loki takes over him and it appears KidLoki is now evil going into Young Avengers. So it is a confusing and somewhat depressing ending. However I think that this is all part of an eventual redemption arc, where the person who KidLoki had become and "won", will return, and win out over old Loki. At least the optimist in me is thinking that. LOL Only time will tell but I have a strong feeling from what I've seen of that comic, that's what they will eventually get to, eventually... And I think that chance of redemption and the possible return of who Kid Loki had become, is what will keep people reading. I'd be interested in what people who had read the whole thing, think about the chances of that. Storytelling-wise it seems too interesting not to come back to, and would give old Loki, now Kid Loki, an interesting inner struggle.

in regards to MCU Loki, I don't think they will feel that he is locked into anything yet. If they do a previous Ragnarok, or if Odin knows Loki is predestined to cause it, then it would seem that Odin felt that could be changed by raising him. Certainly the rest of his family and friends don't know about that or they'd have treated him far differently. And again, I think for 1000 years he acted a certain way, then snapped and changed, Thor acted a certain way for 1000 years and yet a few days on Earth changed that. So certainly Loki should not be considered to be permanently locked into his current mindset or fate.

Last edited by elizah72; 12-19-2012 at 01:09 PM.