View Single Post
Old 12-19-2012, 10:42 PM   #623
cherokeesam
SHIELD Director Coulson

Default Re: Who should be the villain in an Avengers sequel? (Poll)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pr0xyt0xin View Post
I think you might mean thank god they didn't make Spider-Man 4. I'm not gonna say it would've been definitely bad. But, I do honestly believe it was ready to be rebooted. Even if the origin didn't need to be retold.

Or do you prefer Batman/Catwoman to Spider-Man/Black Cat? Either way, I'm really not an avid Hathaway fan.
I *do* thank god Raimi didn't make Spidey 4, because I loved TASM and think that Webb and Garfield did a much better job with the franchise than Raimi. Exception being: villains. Lizard (not so much Ifans, who did a great job in his role as Dr. Connors proper) was a terrible villain, storywise and appearance-wise. Raimi always made better villains, except for Venom.

But the whole narrative of the transition from Spidey 3 to TASM shoots a lot of holes in the myths that some of you guys seem to have built up about the "need" for a reboot. The reality is pretty clear that Sony, Raimi, and audiences were already in full-go mode for Spidey 4; but when Raimi couldn't find a script he wanted out of the 4 drafts he was presented with, Sony did an end-around and rebooted. Didn't have anything to do with the (misguided) perception that "Spider-Man 3 sucked, and everybody hated it."

As for Hathaway: I'm glad she got the chance to play Catwoman, who was by far my favorite part of TDKR. I *definitely* want to see Black Cat get a proper debut in the Spidey series, but Hathaway was not, to my mind, the actress for that role. (Nor, for that matter, was she signed on to play Black Cat --- as stated above, Raimi wanted to rewrite Felicia's story to make her an entirely new and original villain, "Vulturess." Yeegads.)

...They move like slick cotton on oil.

---Echostation, 3/18/2014
cherokeesam is offline   Reply With Quote