View Single Post
Old 12-21-2012, 05:08 PM   #1002
Zorex
No T, No Shade

Default Re: All Things Superman: An Open Discussion - - - - - - - - - - - - Part 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by DChero View Post
A good example would be New York City being used as Metropolis in StM. It's obviously New York, so it didn't have the same feel as what we've seen in other media. Even the show Smallville did a good job of making it feel like Metropolis to me.
Actually, from what I know, Smallville utilized mostly Vancouver (obviously) and Chicago for its Metropolis. Early on in the show, possibly as early as season 1, they used nighttime aerials of the Chicago Loop as establishing shots for Metropolis. Later, when they started doing daytime composite skylines, Chicago always had a presence. This is most apparent in a shot that debuted in the season 9 finale and saw a lot of use through the end of the show. It's clearly a shot from the North end of the Chicago Loop, looking South, with Metropolis landmarks digitally inserted in place of Chicago ones. I'd prefer they do something like this for MOS. Nolan's ultra-real approach took me out of the films often (in TDK & TDKR) when establishing shots showed explicitly Chicago or Manhattan structures.