View Single Post
Old 12-28-2012, 01:56 PM   #640
xeno000
Raining hell from above

Default Re: Who should be the villain in an Avengers sequel? (Poll)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chewy View Post
Never really considered Namor an Avengers villain but that actually makes perfect sense. Get him on screen without spending a tooooooon of money on a movie that may not earn it back, start him off as a villain and let him become more of an anti-hero later like in the comics, give the Avengers a big Earth-based global threat.

But Whedon never mentioned a film with a smaller threat.

Namor is one of those characters I love but enjoy seeing him get the snot kicked out of him. Marvel has courageously kept him a gigantic douchebag over the years, never softening his abrasive personality. When we were kids my siblings and I used to call him Impervious Wretch because he's just a huge ball of angst and attitude. (Stan Lee used that phrase in Not Brand Ecch!) He is exactly the sort of arrogant assclown with legitimately sympathetic disputes with humanity who would make the perfect villain.

Playing up the surface world's wanton pollution of the seas as Namor's reason for invading would make him a very sympathetic figure to the audience. He might rise up and trash the Eastern Seaboard, but can you blame the guy when his people are being poisoned by our filth? The legitimacy of his war would leave the door open for his eventual rehabilitation as a reluctant antihero. Namor could be even more popular than Loki if they cast a charismatic actor who can carry heavy dramatic scenes while looking hot in a Speedo.

xeno000 is offline   Reply With Quote