View Single Post
Old 12-30-2012, 02:28 AM   #73
BenKenobi
Banned User

Default Re: The Anti-Prequel Discussion Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClarkLuther55 View Post
So you ignore the very name Separatists, as well as all the mentions about their objective to "secede," and just insist again that you are right without any evidence? Because clearly, having droid soldiers (which the Empire didn't use) or big weapons makes them the Empire?

I mean, America had nukes, and the Soviets had nukes, so Soviet = American going by this logic, right?

You can't just put your foot down and insist again on things like that while expecting people to just accept your word as complete truth. I see why the others in this thread have had a problem with you insisting on your opinions as fact. Act like that and we have nothing to talk about.
Okay this is a giant sentinel of genocide called a "Death Star" and you are somehow comparing this to a Nuclear deterrent? That is a huge lapse in logic. But you're right these are the good guys building the Death Star following the guy who looks like Satan.

Quote:
Kidnapping a leader = "control the galaxy"?

Why didn't they occupy Coruscant? Why didn't they try to conquer everything, instead of "secede" as they kept saying they were?

If you're going to talk about the facts of the movie, you have to deal with the facts. You do not get to customize your own version of things.
Kidnapp the leader of the Galaxy, that would be like saying a terrorist group or foreign nation kidnapping the President is not a direct attack on the entire nation. Not to mention there was a giant space battle above the planet. Thats not a customized version of things it's what happened in the movie. They attacked the planet, if you don't think they did, then why is there the giant space fleet and kidnapped the Chancellor. Obviously they were losing if their leaders ship is getting shot down and plummeting to the surface, so your point?

Quote:
So he kills off all the Confederate leaders and outs himself as a traitor...before the war was over and Palpatine was ready to declare himself Emperor?
Yeah, do exactly that because all Palpatine has to do is say "execute order 66" and the Jedi are out of the way. Really there is no defense why Palpatine had to wait out the war, besides to get Anakin into the Darth Vader suit for the original trilogy.

Quote:
"So he gives away half the galaxy to his apprentice and a bunch of corporate jerks who he doesn't have complete control over, thus making himself look like a weak and pathetic Chancellor and probably getting thrown out of office. Awesome.

EDIT: Make no mistake about it, a "peace treaty" would be a clear Separatist victory and a Republic defeat, since the Republic's entire objective is to remain whole. This would make Palpatine look like a weakling and a loser, not the hero who people happily accepted as their new emperor.

Also, the Senate and not the Chancellor himself would have to approve a treaty. That's the way it is in real life and in TPM. So your idea is for all the loyal Republic Senators to just surrendur and give up half the Repubic? Why would they agree to that?"
Have you ever heard of the Roman Republic turned Empire? Julius Caesar? Rome became an Empire when the war hero Caesar took his loyal soldiers and marched upon the city, declaring himself the new Emperor. The idea that the people needed to "happily accept him as their new emperor" is preposterous, especially given the following trilogy of films is about the Rebellion against the Empire. The guy has an army of droids and an army of clones, there was no reason he needed to be voted in.

Also, the Senate would not have to approve anything, Palpatine was elected supreme Chancellor at the end of Episode II with enough power to approve bills without Senatorial permission. "For someone who seems so sure of yourself, you really don't seem to understand what was going on."

Quote:
Funny, because I've never read any of the novelizations. Sounds like this "novelization" thing is just your easy way of dismissing anybody you don't agree with.
Or it could be because you are talking about all the Republic's power which is never shown and you are talking about the Separatists motives despite their contradicting actions and I assumed you were referring to material from a novelization.

Quote:
The others were right. I can see that you're just a person with strong opinions that he insists are facts, in defiance of the actual facts. Pretty much a waste of time to talk to you if you carry on like this.
What the hell did I claim was a fact? Obviously you see the logic in my argument otherwise you wouldn't feel so threatened to try to discredit me.

BenKenobi is offline   Reply With Quote