View Single Post
Old 12-30-2012, 03:14 PM   #807
American Maid
Side-Kick

Default Re: Tom Hiddleston: Loki Redux

Quote:
Originally Posted by elizah72 View Post
I don't think he's THAT afraid of Odin getting angry back at him and punishing him. If he was afraid of Odin punishing him for insolence, he wouldn't have lashed out so strongly at him in the vault. (angry asking "What am I? What more than that?", "The casket wasn't the only think you took from Jotunheim that day, was it?" and screaming "TELLLLLLL MEEEEE!" Those aren't ways that you speak to someone you are afraid of.)
Well, Odin is one of his parents, someone he knows very well. So you can have a mixture of fear and frustration and instinctively go to push that person's buttons without thinking much about the consequences.

Quote:
Originally Posted by elizah72 View Post
possibly he could be worrying about himself, but then see what I wrote above about him not seeming at all afraid of Odin punishing him in the vault.

Now what do you think, is that possibly part of the problem? Loki gets away with things that Thor doesn't, because Odin loves Thor enough to punish him so harshly, and yet give him a chance for redemption. But Loki at least feels that he is the less important, less loved, (now learned) adopted son, and it sort of comes through at least subconsciously. He feels at least subconsciously that Odin wouldn't have been so disappointed in Thor, to punish him so harshly, if he didn't love him so much, and yet Loki gets away with more because Odin doesn't care as much? This is just an idea I'm playing with, not sure how I feel about this yet.
I can see that, if at some level Odin just doesn't expect as much out of Loki. I'm not certain movie Odin is that ambivalent, though. They seem to be showing him as genuinely loving his children. Prior to the lines you quote, Loki asks, "What am I?" and Odin replies, "You're my son." And the delivery of that line is warm.

"I have lived many ages of men, Steven. Centuries without end. I have seen many great men, and known countless honors. But the greatest honor of this ancient and tired soul has been the privilege of fighting beside you, and calling you my friend."