View Single Post
Old 12-30-2012, 04:51 PM   #392
Kelly
The Teach!
SHH! Administrator

Default Re: Discussion: The Economy, National Debt, And Other Financial Issues III

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spider-Who? View Post
Gotta disagree with this. The cuts in school funding have been devastating to many. The quality of education has gone down, teachers across the board have lost their jobs, and those who haven't remain critically underpayed, all the while paying for supplies the schools ant provide from their own tiny pay checks. My mother was a teacher and after ten years, she only received one raise. For 18 cents. And she was one of the lucky ones.

This same problem has been plaguing government agencies as well. Remember, there are hard working people trying to make a living in these "faceless" agencies that people keep saying need major cuts. With those major cuts, these people's jobs and salaries will, and have been sacrificed already. People act like cutting funding for government programs and agencies is such an easy and victimless thing, but it's not in the slightest. What good is it going to dothe econmy by laying off even more people? I'm not saying cuts shouldn't be made, but that people need to understand the consequences better.

I gotta disagree with this....you are looking at the wrong problem. It isn't "how much" money is being thrown at something, it is how that money is being spent. We spend more in education per student than any other country in the world, yet we are still in the middle of the pack in developed countries as far as education. That tells me the problem is not "how much" we are spending, but "how" we are spending it.