View Single Post
Old 12-30-2012, 08:01 PM   #800
xeno000
Raining hell from above

Default Re: The Official "Get Marvel's Rights Back!" Thread

I had completely forgotten that DOFP and the third Hobbit movie are scheduled for the same day. Fox had better start blinking like crazy because as it stands their little X-film is going to get flattened by a hobbit and some dwarves.

If Fox wants to reschedule DOFP, they are going to be squeezed by Transformers on one side and The Hobbit on the other. That's the proverbial rock and a hard place.

Marvel's strategy of releasing Captain America: The Winter Soldier and Guardians of the Galaxy outside the traditional Summer period offers both movies huge advantages. As the schedule stands now, neither one will face major competition. August is wide open after GotG comes out, even though TH: TABA and DOFP will (presumably) be in their third week. Movies tend to slow down by that point, so GotG still has a fair chance of topping the box office when it debuts.

CA:TWS goes up against The Equalizer starring Denzel Washington in its second week, but the market can probably support both. The Denzel film is based on a 1980s TV show that is rather obscure (although I loved it). It should have Punisher levels of violence, which means it won't be targeting that family-friendly superheroic sweet spot that the Marvel films aim for. (I don't think that Rio 2 and Stretch Armstrong are going to be too much of a problem.)

xeno000 is offline   Reply With Quote