View Single Post
Old 01-02-2013, 09:15 AM   #606
American Maid
Side-Kick

Default Re: Plot ideas based on SPOILERS (general discussion)

BTW, thanks, guys, for such rich posts!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherokeesam View Post
Odin couldn't take Thanos on if Thanos had the IG. You left out the main part of that battle in the panels above: namely, that Thanos had come to Odin seeking his help --- to fight Thor. Who not only was gripped with Warrior's Madness, but also had the Power Gem. If it took the combined might of Thanos, Odin, Adam Warlock, and Silver Surfer just to take down Thor with just one Infinity Gem, how the hell could Odin....or Surfer, or Warlock, or Thor, or anyone....stand against someone with all six Gems?
Holy cow!! That's insane. So do you think they might do something like that--give Thor the Power Gem, send him into Warrior's Madness, and have some other characters have to take him on? By-and-by, it appears we will have Thanos and Adam Warlock introduced to the MCU (though, alas, not the Silver Surfer).

Quote:
Not necessarily. Loki never responds when Thor asks him directly who gave him this information, so we won't know if Thor/Asgard were pre-aware of Thanos' existence until later movies, hopefully including this one. ...I personally believe Odin and Loki and Thor and the rest of Asgard know full well who Thanos is.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaqua99 View Post
as do I. This is why I think Thor questioned him like that. Not a literal question, but a "who showed you this power?" in the sense that.."Loki, don't tell me you have built an alliance with HIM" I think Thanos was in mind when thor questioned loki, which is why he sounded a bit concerned.
I agree with you guys. I think Thor has someone in mind and wants to see what Loki actually has been up to. Loki's lack of answer can't possibly be comforting in the least.

Quote:
I still hold the Infinity Gauntlet in Odin's Treasury as film canon
Even though it's a right-handed glove?

Quote:
Only if Thanos had any desire/need to go to Earth. He didn't, until Loki revealed to him that the Tesseract was there, in SHIELD custody.
Quote:
Which personally, is why I think Thanos is going to be in 3. I will HATE if Thanos' climax is simply an attack on earth. Yes. He has a motive to attack earth, and the avengers. But what about what he was doing before that? What did he need the tesseract for? There has to be more to thanos' story in the MCU than him now "wanting to court death" by fighting the avengers. I think dropping whatever he was going to do, to simply attack earth would be HORRIBLE. I am DYING to see Thanos as a legimate universal threat in the MCU.
You mean Thor3, I presume? Are you saying you've given up on Surtur??

I think there is a risk of what you're describing coming to pass (Thanos vs. the Avengers). In the first place, they're going to need someone to fight, if not in Avengers 2, then in Avengers 3 (hence my question of clarification). Second, films in general are vulnerable to the "Humans are Special" trope (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.ph...mansAreSpecial). As I've mentioned in this space, I've been watching Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes, and that show is prone to setting up the fights (and the story) so that the humans (particularly Mr. Purple Pants and Mr. Smarty Pants) save the day, yet again. So this franchise in particular is vulnerable to it.

Quote:
Maybe not Odin; but you do bring up a good point: there's a strong likelihood that Heimdall, the all-seeing, should have been able to spot him. Then again, Loki proved in Thor 1 that he's particularly adept at shielding his movements from Heimdall, and he may be the only such person capable of doing that.
True, although too much of that essentially makes Heimdall suffer from the Worf Effect trope (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.ph.../TheWorfEffect) (This is Thor's problem, I think, in A:EMH)

<The panel that Elizah posted>
Quote:
That's from 2011's Fear Itself miniseries. Which may wind up planting seeds in Thor: TDW and future Thor/Avenger films. What's happening there is that Odin's long-lost brother Skadi, God of Fear, has returned from ancient slumber on Earth and is about to set off Ragnarok. Odin says the only way to stop him is to destroy Midgard, and Skadi with it. Thor is horrified and intercedes on behalf of humanity, and Odin gets pissed and asks his son point blank: "Are you a man or a god? Choose." Thor chooses to be a man, and on the side of Midgard/humanity. We might see a scene similar to that coming to a theater near you this Thanksgiving.
Thanks for the clarification!

Indeed, we may well see this element 10 months hence . Now, in Fear Itself, Thor ultimately is killed. Do you think they will do that here? I suppose that *is* "sacrificing everything to save us all." It's hard for me to believe they will. (not least because that figured into Thor1)

Quote:
I know, two things here. 1. Did I not mention the IG in my initial post? I think I may have forgot it, but i did go on to say (must have been in another post) that Odin wouldn't even be a threat to Thanos with the IG, and I mentioned how he defeated all the heroes, and basically made galactus and company flee, and defeating eternity. I am pretty sure I mentioned that somewhere lol.
It was in a follow-up post.

Quote:
reading up on them online is fine, but I can't stress enough, to get a full understanding of the characters in the comics, people should read the comics, that way they aren't getting a summary, and are actually getting character interaction the way they are written and such. Plus, it's simply more enjoyable.
Well, Thor's universe is rich enough now that it would take a long time to have enough cotext to understand everyone's posts if one were only to read the books. The summaries are very helpful for understanding who all these characters are that members are mentioning, and to know what the major events are in the characters' lives.

Summaries tend not to say much about characters' motivations. If they do, it is necessarily mediated through the interpretationn of the summary author, who usually is a fan. In addition, such posts are more in the spirit of technical writing, the purpose of which is to convey facts. The books, on the other hand, are in the spirit of art. Art is there to speak to greater truths about the human condition (which, btw, is why films are vulnerable to the Humans Are Special trope), to provide escape from mundane daily living, to spin and create another world (among other cultural purposes related to the human spirit). We can certainly complain about certain writers, but since people are willing to pay them money to write, most of them are probably better than the general population at creating this particular art. So the books are going to be better in this regard, on average.

For example, I was already well aware of all the major plot elements of the Simonson run that I have encountered so far in my reading. But none of the summaries conveyed that Lorelei seems to be as dumb as a box of rocks, for example. Nor have they created the Norse world in my head in the way that Simonson's narration and background details do (I didn't even realize he was a Norse mythology buff). That's art.

So I say reading summaries is plenty useful, but it's impoverishing not to experience the art .

"I have lived many ages of men, Steven. Centuries without end. I have seen many great men, and known countless honors. But the greatest honor of this ancient and tired soul has been the privilege of fighting beside you, and calling you my friend."

Last edited by American Maid; 01-02-2013 at 02:58 PM. Reason: Correct a quote attribution.
American Maid is offline   Reply With Quote